[mdlug] Booting CD images from a hard drive partition

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 23:10:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Drew <drew4096 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish to set aside one or more partitions on the new hard drive for
> holding a copy of
> a Linux boot CD, such as Knoppix, PC-OS, or RIPLinux, to have a copy ready to
> boot without needing to dig out the CD.

I've never tried that. On my network I have a server with the ISO
images mounted.  I netboot with PXELinux from a TFTP server.  It then
loads my custom ubuntu-installer menus where I can select from several
different Ubuntu ISOs, Mandriva, Knoppix, DSL, and Parted Magic (the
latter two from huge initrds instead of ISOs).  The ISOs are accessed
over NFS.  For installations I have some basic kickstart configs for
Ubuntu which set some defaults for the "alternate" installers.  Works
pretty good with systems that can netboot.  Been meaning to document
this mess.