[mdlug] Blackberry Phones with Linux Email Servers

Robert Jim Fulner fulner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 10:37:19 EDT 2009

I had tried that several times and always messed up in the configuration
somewhere, of course its probably been at least a year since the last time I
tried. But my BlackBerry has been NFG for 6 months or so now.

My Alltel 8130 keeps turning the phone part of the phone off (the most
valuable component). Alltel support has told me on several occasions that
this a known problem and normally would be covered under the warranty.
However, I had previously tried to make a warranty claim on something that
ended up being physical damage (unable to communicate via USB port) and as
such my hardware has been marked as warranty voided, so they can't fix my
known issue.

I work in the support department of a Bluetooth company so I have access to
most any phone from any of the 4 major carrier, so since Alltel and Verizon
are merging I've tried using our VZW 8130 on Alltel, it will activate on the
system, but since the too are not completed merged until September
(according to what support told me) they network can't verify that I'm
paying for a data plan, so I can't access any data features.

As such, for the time I'm back to running el cheapo LG AX-380 race car
phone, and still paying for a data connection! (Not to mention Alltel won't
let my wife and I be on the same bill as our phone numbers are from "two
different billing zones", so our two phones that we hardly use costs us
about $200/month together).  If we both switched to 734 numbers they could
do it, but my wife refuses to loose her 906 area code, and it really doesn't
make any sense for me to switch to a 906 number. I hope this gets better
after the merger, but I don't expect it to.

So for now its not worth my time to try Barry again, but if you happen to
have any suggestions, I'd still be willing to listen