[mdlug] Blackberry Phones with Linux Email Servers

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Tue Jun 30 15:02:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 10:37 -0400, Robert Jim Fulner wrote:
> I had tried that several times and always messed up in the configuration
> somewhere, of course its probably been at least a year since the last time I
> tried. But my BlackBerry has been NFG for 6 months or so now.
>
> My Alltel 8130 keeps turning the phone part of the phone off (the most
> valuable component). Alltel support has told me on several occasions that
> this a known problem and normally would be covered under the warranty.
> However, I had previously tried to make a warranty claim on something that
> ended up being physical damage (unable to communicate via USB port) and as
> such my hardware has been marked as warranty voided, so they can't fix my
> known issue.

	If my experiment turns out I may have a worn but working and very
servicable Blackberry 81?? extra.

> I work in the support department of a Bluetooth company so I have access to
> most any phone from any of the 4 major carrier, so since Alltel and Verizon
> are merging I've tried using our VZW 8130 on Alltel, it will activate on the
> system, but since the too are not completed merged until September
> (according to what support told me) they network can't verify that I'm
> paying for a data plan, so I can't access any data features.

	FWIW Very similar to what I've heard and read, trying to activate an
Alltel handset on VZW. Basic phone will work, but advanced features not.
On a Motorola E815 handset the VZW firmware differs enough from the
stock Motorola firmware that it's problematic at best. I ended up buying
an E815 VZW handset from an Ebay seller, so I could put that in my
Blackberries place to run out the contract.

> As such, for the time I'm back to running el cheapo LG AX-380 race car
> phone, and still paying for a data connection! (Not to mention Alltel won't
> let my wife and I be on the same bill as our phone numbers are from "two
> different billing zones", so our two phones that we hardly use costs us
> about $200/month together).  If we both switched to 734 numbers they could
> do it, but my wife refuses to loose her 906 area code, and it really doesn't
> make any sense for me to switch to a 906 number. I hope this gets better
> after the merger, but I don't expect it to.
>
> So for now its not worth my time to try Barry again, but if you happen to
> have any suggestions, I'd still be willing to listen

	It seems VZW at least is getting more and more expensive in relation to
other carriers, and less and less customer friendly. Also, their habit
of purposely disabling features of the handsets drives me nuts. It seems
for the smallest thing you must visit the store. I don't feel I should
have to visit the store to manage my phone lists. I'm really enjoying my
newfound freedom with an unlocked sim based handset with AT&T.

Best Regards,
--

        Peter The Plumber sm
        State Licensed Master Plumber

        <http://petertheplumber.net>
        24h Service 313.215.5175

        Don't sleep with a drip; if water runs through it; call a
        experienced,licensed
        plumber!