[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Wed Jun 24 05:32:13 EDT 2009

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
>> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>>> Yes (although you didn't know it was doing something wrong):
>>>     you chose reiserfs instead of XFS.
>>>
>>> In a relatively few power-off situations, I had several problems
>>> with reiserfs handling the situation poorly.
>>>
>>> So, when I installed SuSE 10.1 on my laptop to go to Iraq, I
>>> instead used XFS all of my non-root filesystems (/usr, /home,
>>> /var, /opt, /local, and /tmp).
>> One question here. Why only non-root file systems? SuSE has supported
>> booting from XFS since ver 8.something. (There was a screw up with 9.1
>> that prevented it's use on the root partition.)
>
> Really?  Didn't know that -- I was under the impressionn that
> SuSE required an ext* filesystem for the root filesystem.
>
> I'll remember that, as I'm going to be upgrading my laptop
> from 10.1 in the near future.

Oh, I just remembered one consideration. To maintain compatibility with
the Irix implementation, Linux XFS always starts writing the file system
in the first sector of the device it is written to. This makes it
incompatible with installing GRUB (or LILO for that matter) into the
first partition of the boot sector with an XFS boot partition. As long
as you can install the boot loader elsewhere, MBR or another partition,
then XFS can be used for boot/root filesystems.

Raymond McLaughlin