[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

Brian brian at dangerbacon.com
Fri Jun 12 11:37:55 EDT 2009

Doesn't matter if suse supports it out of the box or not.  If you boot
off a live cd (or perhaps rescue mode on the suse install disc), you
can mount and chroot to the root filesystem.  From here you can edit
/etc/sysconfig/kernel and put xfs in the INITRD_MODULES line.  After
this run a mkinitrd and reboot and you should be in business.

On 6/12/09, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
>> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>>> Yes (although you didn't know it was doing something wrong):
>>>     you chose reiserfs instead of XFS.
>>>
>>> In a relatively few power-off situations, I had several problems
>>> with reiserfs handling the situation poorly.
>>>
>>> So, when I installed SuSE 10.1 on my laptop to go to Iraq, I
>>> instead used XFS all of my non-root filesystems (/usr, /home,
>>> /var, /opt, /local, and /tmp).
>>
>> One question here. Why only non-root file systems? SuSE has supported
>> booting from XFS since ver 8.something. (There was a screw up with 9.1
>> that prevented it's use on the root partition.)
>
> Really?  Didn't know that -- I was under the impressionn that
> SuSE required an ext* filesystem for the root filesystem.
>
> I'll remember that, as I'm going to be upgrading my laptop
> from 10.1 in the near future.
>>

>>> I've had similar experience on my desktop machine: XFS has
>>> not lost a file since I converted over.
>>
>> The MDLUG server is on XFS, and I'm pretty sure this chioce is not ther
>> reason for the random reboots. (The hardware is getting old.) And I use
>> it on most machines I set up. I have seen occasional file loss, but it
>> was only files that were being written at the time of a sudden power loss.
>>
>>> XFS is the more robust filesystem.  Use it.
>>
>> Some things I've read about ZFS make me wish Sun would allow GPL
>> compatible licensing.
>
> Sun is slowly dying, the similar to the 30-year long death
> spiral of GM.  They can't afford to give away anything.

Sent from my mobile device

Brian
"It's not stupid, it's advaaanced!" - Tallest Purple