[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

Joseph C. Bender jcbender at bendorius.com
Wed Jun 24 09:32:00 EDT 2009

Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>> Really?  Didn't know that -- I was under the impressionn that
>> SuSE required an ext* filesystem for the root filesystem.
>>
>> I'll remember that, as I'm going to be upgrading my laptop
>> from 10.1 in the near future.
>
> Oh, I just remembered one consideration. To maintain compatibility with
> the Irix implementation, Linux XFS always starts writing the file system
> in the first sector of the device it is written to. This makes it
> incompatible with installing GRUB (or LILO for that matter) into the
> first partition of the boot sector with an XFS boot partition. As long
> as you can install the boot loader elsewhere, MBR or another partition,
> then XFS can be used for boot/root filesystems.

	I use XFS extensively on my laptops that I have Linux loaded on, just
because it's been a really good fit for them.

	That being said, I always set up /boot as ext3.  Firstly,  because of
the issues with installing Grub or LILO mentioned above.  Secondarily,
if I get into a real jam, /boot is then Linux-universally mountable from
a boot CD or Live CD.  I've gotten jammed up trying to recover a
non-booting system when /boot is XFS and not always easily mountable.
As the partition has almost no activity against it after the boot
process is done, it's not a big deal to have this happen.  / and the
other filesystems are then set up XFS.

-JCB