[mdlug] Help diagnosing hardware problem - not solved

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Jun 23 08:01:24 EDT 2009

Did you pop out the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes and then reapply power?
I have found that sometimes, the BIOS can become wonky and clearing it via
battery drain can rectify the issue. (That still doesn't mean that the old
Power Supply is good, it could have sent the wrong voltage for the correct
amount of time to toss the BIOS off.)

Barring that, straight DDR RAM is no longer usable on modern motherboards.
It's either DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. So replacing the MB and CPU will require a RAM
upgrade.

Check out Computer Direct on John R. They have two Motherboard CPU combos
available that with buying a 1GB stick of DDR2 RAM will be right around $100
to $120. Hardware prices are very inexpensive these days.

Later,
Rob