[mdlug] Help diagnosing hardware problem - not solved

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Jun 23 07:50:50 EDT 2009

> From: Ingles, Raymond

>  I went over last night, and checked things out. At that point, it
would
> boot through the BIOS and the boot loader, but would no longer even
get
> to the graphical login screen. Once the monitor said "no signal", it
was
> unresponsive to keyboard input.

>  At that point I figured it was either the video card, the power
supply,
> or the motherboard.

 Well, replacing the power supply made no difference in the behavior.
It's either the video card or the motherboard... but finding an AGP card
these days isn't easy, and would be a waste if it turned out to be the
motherboard.

 So... I'll be looking at getting a new MB and video card, along with
probably a new CPU. Should be able to keep the DDR RAM. My proposed
budget is around $150, ideally less. Any suggestions? It doesn't need to
be top-of-the-line in speed - what they *already* have is overkill - it
just needs to be reliable.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                       (313) 227-2317

   Microsoft Windows - It could be worse, but it'll take time.