[mdlug] OT: Photo Software

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 19 19:19:58 EDT 2009

David,

> My siblings and I just went through the parents' photo albums
> and there are many that each of us wants copies of.
> Consequently, I've got a big stack to be sorted, digitized,
> and tagged (who/when/where/etc).
> Have any of you done this?

Yes.

> What software did you use?

digikam.
A (non-computer-literate, but professional photographer) friend uses it,
to touch-up, label, organize, and burn to cd.

> Did you scan them yourselves on your home printer/copier/scanner,
> use an online service, go to CVS, Meijer's, etc???

Most were pictures taken since 2005 with a digital camera
(Olympus?) or were developed as Kodak photodisks since ~1998.

I have an HP psc-750i flatbed scanner that I picked up at a garage sale.
It has been fully linux compatible, but too unreliable mechanically
(actually the bulb is worn out, and I've not found a replacement)
to be worth using.  I've actually done most of my limited digitizing
using my camera's "document" setting.

Depending on the age (grade school?) and interests of your siblings,
they may enjoy sorting through the photos, while they digitize them.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Bob

  "We can have democracy in this country,
   or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few,
   but we can't have both."
     -- Louis D. Brandeis (Supreme Court Judge)