[mdlug] Partway through the grieving process

Brian brian at dangerbacon.com
Tue Jun 16 17:32:28 EDT 2009

Oh my, I'm terribly sorry for your loss. My back up and restore went
ok but I was only working with saved game data off of a thumb drive.
Aside from using the restore tool, have you tried going into the saved
game data utility with your drive attached to see if you can browse
the drive and cherry pick your saved games off of it?  I believe that
is the route I went.  Also a long shot but have you tried an fsck on
the drive?

On 6/16/09, Ingles, Raymond <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
> So, I use the "Backup" utility on my Playstation 3, no errors. Use the
> "Install Other OS" option to repartition the disk, and install Ubuntu
> 9.04 into the 10GB partition I made. The install goes pretty smoothly,
> it boots up and connects to my WPA-encrypted wifi network without
> trouble.
>
>  So, I use the "Restore" function to get back my PS3 data and... it
> errors out at 21%. Then it insists the hard drive is corrupt and needs
> to be reformatted. I've tried multiple different ways to restore,
> including copying the backup to another drive and restoring from there,
> but no dice.
>
>  Apparently, everything's gone. The only thing that can't be easily
> replaced are the save games, which represent hours of time. That's
> *extremely* irritating. I should have backed up the save games
> specifically, but I had no reason suspect a problem with the backup.
>
>  So, word of warning if you decide to put Linux on your PS3 - the backup
> utility is not totally reliable.
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Ray Ingles                                                  (313)
> 227-2317
>
>     "I can write programs that control air traffic, intercept ballistic
>         missiles, reconcile bank accounts, control production lines."
>
>  "So can I, and so can any man, but do they *work* when you do write
> them?"
>
>         - Fred Brooks, after Shakespeare, "The Mythical Man-Month"
> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It
> contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
> addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose
> it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately
> and then destroy it.

Sent from my mobile device

Brian
"It's not stupid, it's advaaanced!" - Tallest Purple