[mdlug] Moving to Debian 64bit - Lessons Learned?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Jul 31 11:15:25 EDT 2009

> From: Robert Adkins

>   I think that there is another Open Source Virtual Machine package
out
> there too. I don't recall the name at the moment, if I have some time
> later, I'll look it up.

 There's a couple. Bochs & QEMU are two I can think of, both open
source. I'd been using QEMU for a while - no 3D, but it ran Win98 for
some old games I have.

 However, going from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 broke QEMU. My Win98 virtual
machine won't boot anymore. Very irritating. I'm still poking at it...
it looks like some underlying hardware representation changed and the
settings the hosted Win98 has won't work.

 I might switch to Bochs or even VMWare player - having something that
worked break later on is not fun.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317

   "We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense
 and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful
               and his children smart." - H. L. Mencken