[mdlug] Moving to Debian 64bit - Lessons Learned?

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Jul 31 10:55:36 EDT 2009

  I think that there is another Open Source Virtual Machine package out
there too. I don't recall the name at the moment, if I have some time later,
I'll look it up.

  You will not be able to get decent quality performance for 3D
Applications, from what I understand. There has been some serious work
towards making that possible though.

  Intel and AMD both have features in their newer multi-core processors
designed specifically for VM applications. These need to be activated in the
BIOS and supposedly, with a properly written VM host application, the VM can
access the underlying hardware in the PC and utilize accelerated 3D
Graphics.

  I have only started reading about this as being a feature built into the
new Microsoft Virtual Machine software that is designed to be
used/integrated with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. I think that I may actually
have that feature in my rig and I have been playing with the 64-bit Win7
Ultimate and will be giving that a look. AFAIK, this Microsoft
implementation may only provide the hardware acceleration access for the
virtual Windows XP Pro that they are providing with this VM software.

  -Rob