[mdlug] Moving to Debian 64bit - Lessons Learned?

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Jul 31 11:18:30 EDT 2009

  This is what you need to do then:

  Boot your Win98 VM into Safe Mode, this won't install the drivers that are
causing it to crap out, if that is what the problem is. When you get it into
safe mode, you will need to remove all the drivers for the IDE Controllers,
Video Card, etc., etc. (Assuming that you get the Win98 VM to boot, but
bluescreen.)

  You get into safe mode my mashing the F8 key continually while the VM is
booting, after the BIOS Screen and before the Windows Splash screeen pops
up. It will give you a menu list to choose from.

  Then reboot the win98 VM into normal mode and it should recognize the new
hardware and go through the paces of installing the proper drivers.

  I used to do that all the time when upgrading hardware, it's still
possible to do this with Windows XP, but you have to boot it on the existing
hardware first, then delete all the drivers, shut it straight down AND then
move the disk to the new mainboard and boot into XP.

  -Rob