[mdlug] Networking with open SUSE 11.1

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu Jul 30 13:11:54 EDT 2009

When I have needed to make wireless cards that require ndis wrapper to
work on OpenSUSE I find it best to do the following:

o Use YAST to remove all the madwifi stuff. If it doesn't work it is not
helping and may interfere.

o Install the packages ndiswrapper ndisgtk, and ndisinstaller. One of
those last two (I forget which one) will provide a nice point and click
interface for selecting the .inf file that describes the driver you need.

o Go to YAST ->Network Devices ->Network Settings ->Global Options and
make sure "User Controlled with NetworkManager" is selected.

o Once this is done you should have a "KNetworkManager" icon next to you
clock in KDE. If you use gnome, it has a similar tool, but I don't know
what it's called. Using this tool you should be able to make wireless
connections.

I hope this helps.
Raymond McLaughlin