[mdlug] Networking with open SUSE 11.1

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Thu Jul 30 11:40:12 EDT 2009

Another thing to look at, if you have plans on only being a user of a Linux
desktop OS, instead of a hardcore Linux user, such as Gary, myself and other
members of the list here, is to take a look at Ubuntu Linux 9.04.

Ubuntu has, in my opinion, one upped several other distros in providing a
utility that will automatically locate and install the ndiswrapper package
along with the proper drivers for certain WiFi cards, specifically of the
Broadcom family of WiFi cards. I was pleasantly surprised when I started
playing with Ubuntu to find that my WiFi card was detected and it asked me
if I wanted to install the proper driver for it. (This was through an applet
under "Administration" relating to Hardware Drivers.)

Still, I find OpenSuSe 11.1 to be far more powerful in terms of what I can
make the OS do. For instance, out of the box you can install multiple
Network Interface Cards and assign how they will connect to your network
very easily with OpenSuSe.

Ubuntu (Even the Server Edition) doesn't have any utilities or easy method
of stating that a particular NIC is going to be called Eth1 and will use a
particular static or DHCP related address every boot. I battled briefly with
an Ubuntu server that was going to be configured as a router/proxy for an
untrusted network branch before throwing up my arms and getting ready to
hammer smash the PC into pieces. For this situation, OpenSuSe 11.1 proved to
be the dead simple solution to the problem.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the Linux Club.
Rob