[mdlug] how would you teach a class?

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Jul 9 19:10:21 EDT 2009

Greetings,

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Garry Stahl wrote:
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >> What's really sad is that they continue to hang on to
> >> the semantics and other artifacts of that horrid
> >> abortion of a commmand line interface (drive letters, etc.)
> >>
> > Drive letters suck, agreed.  The UNIX drive system is much, MUCH
> > better.  However, DOS in general was decent command line.
>
> It was always a pale imitation of Unix.
>
> Even as Microsoft was selling DOS and deriding Unix as
> being an OS of "difficult command names with hard to remember
> options", every version of DOS came closer and closer to
> Unix (while always fundamentally missing some basic
> concepts, such as concurrent execution)

   I recall a friend running Digital Research DOS (DRdos), and every time
DRdos had a new feature (an added UNIX-like command) Microsoft DOS would
come out with a bastradized simi-functioning version of the exact same
thing about 6 months later.  It was obvious they were playing catch-up
with DRdos, and DRdos was becoming more and more like UNIX.

      --- Jay

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|