[mdlug] how would you teach a class?

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:50:31 EDT 2009

Garry Stahl wrote:
> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>> What's really sad is that they continue to hang on to
>> the semantics and other artifacts of that horrid
>> abortion of a commmand line interface (drive letters, etc.)
>>
> Drive letters suck, agreed.  The UNIX drive system is much, MUCH
> better.  However, DOS in general was decent command line.

It was always a pale imitation of Unix.

Even as Microsoft was selling DOS and deriding Unix as
being an OS of "difficult command names with hard to remember
options", every version of DOS came closer and closer to
Unix (while always fundamentally missing some basic
concepts, such as concurrent execution)

>  At one point
> I had learned my way around it fairly well.  It was useful.  The help
> system in DOS 6.22 was good.  Yes, I said "good" about a microsoft
> product.  Of course they started gutting it at once.  Windoze help was
> jealous.

"Minimize: click the minimize menu entry to minimize the window"