[mdlug] Linux Desktops For Sale

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 16:27:23 EDT 2009

Robert Adkins wrote:
> Maybe.
>
> All I know is the day to day issues of dealing with an office full of
> definitely not power users and the difficulty they experience when forcibly
> upgraded from one OS to the next, one office package to the next and the
> complete negative experience they carry for upwards of a few months while
> they are growing used to the latest Windows/Office setup.

Precisely.  Since the same issues exist WITHIN the microsoft
upgrade path...and most of your buyers have experienced it
at least once themselves (it not multiple times), I really
don't understand why you're sweating about this.

Users' are already USED TO uncomfortable change.. .but if
you tell them that, once you switch to Linux, there will
be NO MORE FORCED UPGRADES with the attendant pain like
in the Windows domain, I'm willing to bet that they'll
grin and bear it for longer.

Also... I would use a bit of "negative psychology" when
selling these systems. Question them about their level of
expertise, and then -- especially with the technically
savvy, say  "I don't think you're ready for the change
of mindset required to learn to use this operating system."

Now, what you've done is CHALLENGED THEM to be up to the
task of learning the system.  A lot of them will then
stick it out through the learning curve JUST TO KEEP
FROM BEING PROVEN as the "wimpy" user you said they were.

People have pride... use it to your/our advantage ;-)