[mdlug] Linux Desktops For Sale

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jul 1 15:05:00 EDT 2009

  The 50GB root would leave space for updates to be downloaded, which some
distros use /var to temporarily hold the files, while some don't. It would
leave plenty of space for other applications to be isntalled as well.

  The size of the root partition isn't set into stone. It would, however,
really suck to say, "Okay, 10GB (or less) will be enough for everyone!" and
then later find out that... No, it's not even remotely enough, after
shipping a few dozen or more PCs, two years down the road.

  Anyway, I will be taking all of this into consideration when talking to
them about finalizing the configuration of the OS and working on a restore
system. (As I said before, I have been helping them out on Saturdays in
their tech lab and on the sales floor.)

  -Rob