[mdlug] Setting up a home network

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 23:50:12 EST 2009

Hi Michael:

The best solution, IMO, is as follows:

Modem -> Wireless Router -> mnewman-desktop + Rest of network

That way, you let the router act as your firewall, name server (DNS), DHCP
server, etc, and not have to worry about anything else -- it will just work.
And you won't need to keep a machine on all the time, just the router.

The way to do this is to use DHCP to configure all networking from your router.
For your desktop and other machines, you can have it "pin" static addresses to
a specific MAC address.  E.g. it would recognize your desktop's ethernet card,
and always assign 192.168.1.2 and add an entry DNS for mnewman-desktop for
local routing.

Now the bad news: your router does can't do this - even with the latest
firmware.  More expensive (and other, newer) routers provide this capability
out of the box. So how do you get it?

1. Use firmware from <http://www.dd-wrt.com>.  This is free, but could "brick"
your router.
2. Use firmware from sveasoft.  Same warning as (1) applies.
3. Buy a more capable router.
4. Ignore this post

Options discussed below in more detail:

1. Use firmware from <http://www.dd-wrt.com>

This is firmware that /probably/ do precisely what you want (from my research).
Here is the compatibility list:
<http://www.dd-
wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28all_the_rest_that_is_not_re-
engineered_til_today.29>

And here is how you tell what firmware to load:
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-
WRT%3F#Which_V24_build_do_I_flash_onto_my_Broadcom_router>

From the looks of it, the firmware desired for your router is the micro build
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/Broadcom/Linksys/WRT54GS_v5/dd-
wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin>.  Unfortunately, your v5 was the version that
halved the flash ram, and so only the micro build is available.

If you decide to go this route, BE CAREFUL - THIS UP COULD BRICK YOUR ROUTER.
DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.  Make /sure/ you have the right firmware and follow
all instructions!

2. Use firmware from sveasoft.

The commercial variant is at sveasoft <www.sveasoft.com>, however, due to the
flash ram limitation, they don't appear to support WRT54Gv5.   You might want
to do a little digging there though.

3. Buy a more capable router

I am doing research on this.  Here is a hit from google using "wireless router
linux recommendation dhcp MAC address DNS"

<http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/belkin-n1-wireless-
router/4540-3319_7-31864345.html?rid=30993672>

The key features you are looking for is probably "Dynamic IP address
assignment", "DHCP Support", "Dynamic DNS server".

Here are some possible others:

<http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-wifi-hardware/?filter=500563_5117169_>

4. Ignore this post

You could continue with Modem -> Wireless Router -> mnewman-desktop -> Rest of
network and keep your desktop on at all times;  or use static IP's, or ...

Parting Thoughts:

I have done a lot of research and expect to try dd-wrt on my WRT54Gv2 router
soon.  I am lucky, however, in that I have a v2 router, so I will be trying
the full build instead of micro.  If I "brick" it, I plan to buy a more
capable router, e.g. the Belkin N+ Wireless Router.  I will share my
experiences.

Sorry for the long post.  Hope that is useful.

Sincerely, Mike