[mdlug] Setting up a home network

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Sat Jan 24 15:12:24 EST 2009

Michael wrote:
> A.) A simple home network where each computer has its own name and can
> be
> accessed via that name. I can bring my Apple Laptop home from work and
> ssh
> into mnewman-desktop/access media files on it

I forgot to mention, it is dns that will allow computers
to have names.  It's possible that it is included within
the router.  If not, you can run that as a service on
any Linux workstations or servers that are left on all
the time.  Unless you have a great need for it immediately,
save dns for last.