[mdlug] Setting up a home network

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 04:54:25 EST 2009

Hi Mike:

If you have more money than time, plopping down $99 for one of these would
almost certainly be the fastest way to meet your needs:

<http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=f5d8235-4&aid=14407&scid=0&fid=4463&fn=man_f5d8235-4_pm00736_0708.pdf>

Highlights:

Page 37: reserving IPs per MAC address with DHCP (key feature!)

Page 45: guest users (kept off your network; handy!)

Page 47: firewall features

Page 48: forwarding of ports to specific servers (e.g. port 22 to your desktop
so you can SSH to it)

Page 51: DMZ (if you dare!)

Page 52: Dynamic DNS to set up the system so that you can remotely access your
box by hostname even if your ISP changes your WAN IP address.

My guess is the router almost certainly does DNS forwarding (e.g. one can
point to it as the DNS server).  If one is lucky, it will resolve the client
host names it finds, per p37 too (WRT54Gv2 does forwarding, but does *not*
resolve local client names).  If this router also does not, the ability to
reserve IPs means one can set up his own host names in /etc/hosts for the
devices on the network.  The key benefit to either approach is there would be
no need to ensure a server is always on to handle DNS.

Most of this stuff is supported by my WRT54Gv2 with the latest firmware
(4.21.1).  This may not be the case for WRT54Gv5, which has half the memory
and different firmware. In any case, the key missing feature is ability to
assign IP addresses based upon MAC address.

If I have trouble after flashing my WRT54Gv2 router, I will buy one of these.

Sincerely,

Mike

p.s. If you want to share files over the network, you might consider NFS. If
you do so, you will need to match (or map) user  ids /etc/passwd on different
boxes.  This can be done a number of different ways.  One is to use NIS.