[mdlug] [Software] Open Source or otherwise alternatives to OneNote

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 20 22:35:07 EST 2009

>> OneNote is a Microsoft product.
>> Are there any alternatives to this product? ...

> Freemind is a basic thought organizer.
> BasKet for KDE is closer to OneNote with its ability to paste in URLs,
>   images, text and freely organize them onto the page.
> And, I think tomboy is good for gnome.  ...

OneNote is available to us at work.
Before my arrival, management policy encouraged its use.
Few found it useful.
When I arrived, I started a wiki (bulletin board).
Our developer/qa/... notes are now stored in the wiki.

The current engine is oddmusewiki,
chosen because its only requirement was perl.

I recommend the mediawiki engine over oddmusewiki.
Though mediawiki requires a well-featured LAMP setup,
the wysiwym editting support is worth the cost.

When^H^H^H^H If time permits, I'll upgrade work to use mediawiki.

My $0.02,
--
Bob

  "When I investigate and when I discover,
   that the forces of the heavens and the planets are within ourselves,
   then truly I seem to be living among the gods."
     -- Leon Battista Alberti