[mdlug] Suggestions for games for an elderly parent? Starcraft

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Tue Jan 20 13:19:12 EST 2009

My favorite game is a real time strategy one called Starcraft.  I've read that it works under Wine. It's from the same folks who do Warcraft.  It looks a bit lake a cartoon so the blood is not really objectionable (in my opinion). I've seen the Starcraft warchest version selling for $20 at most software outlets.
Another choice is Sim City.  I suspect it is popular enough that someone has gotten it to run under Wine. But I don't know.
Total Annilation is not as poplular but similar to Starcraft.

-- "Ingles, Raymond" <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
My dad has asked me for some computer games for his birthday... this
Sunday. (Oy.)

He's intelligent and has a sense of humor, but has limited computer
gaming experience and tends to learn 'computer things' by rote. My
parents run Ubuntu Linux, so any games I got for them would have to be
Linux-based or run well under Wine. He's healthy but doesn't have the
twitch reflexes (or the interest in violence and gore) of the typical
teenager, so FPS games aren't going to fly.

He's enjoyed Peggle and a few Flash games. I'm thinking an RTS or a
turn-based strategy game might work. A driving simulator with a
force-feedback steering wheel might work, given that it ran well under
Wine or had a native Linux version.

So... any suggestions, or genres I haven't come up with?

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317

   "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but
            what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein