[mdlug] Suggestions for games for an elderly parent?

Mark Kimsal mark at metrofindings.com
Tue Jan 20 13:31:06 EST 2009

World of Warcraft works very well under Wine.

Westnoth is a fun turn-based strategy with medieval themes (like fire emblem
series).

I have a simple puzzle game written in pygame, but it won't be finished by
Sunday.

As mentioned previously, freeciv is good, there's also freecol.

SMC (secret maryo chronicles) is a high-quality SNES-era Mario copy.

SuperTuxKart is classic linux game.

Maybe just plunking money down for Cedega would be good as well.

If you're looking for commercial games, I would browse the Cedega games
database (http://www.cedega.com/gamesdb/) or the wine app database
(http://appdb.winehq.org/).  Although there are commercial games with native
linux support (i.e. runs w/o wine) they tend to be of the FPS/gore genre.

Lastly, I found Empire Earth 3 on cedega's app db.  I cannot vouch for it,
I've never played it, but it seems to be a supported, high-quality,
commercial game in the RTS genre.

Everyone else's recommendations are also very good: rail road tycoon,
starcraft, sim city, NWN...

I couldn't really tell if you wanted to put money down for commercial games,
or if the birthday present would be just setting up and installing some FOSS
games.  But, commercial games are best done with Cedega, second best-ly done
with Wine.