[mdlug] OT - Gimp plugin.

Mark Kimsal mark at metrofindings.com
Fri Jan 9 09:13:00 EST 2009

On Friday 09 January 09, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:46:58PM -0500, Garry Stahl wrote:
> > It is getting more complicated here.  YAST tells me I have the gimp
> > development package installed, but no gimptools showing up.  I'll keep
> > banging on it.
>
> Do you have the package that includes glib.h?  I believe for
> debian/ubuntu it's either libglib2-dev or libglib1.2-dev -- depending
> if you need GLIB1.2 or GLIB2.0.  This should be covered by the
> documentation.  Both glib1.2 and glib2.0 have a glib.h header, so the
> only way you can use it is to refer to the /usr/include/glib1.2 or
> /usr/include/glib2.0 directories in the configure/Makefile.
>
> Don't get too frustrated.  There are a lot of software projects out
> there that release software that is rather difficult to build, and
> even an experienced linux developer ends up having to patch it to make
> it work.  A lot of times it's because the source code you're using is
> out of date, or the original developer got it working in a particular
> setup, but neglected to include all the dependency checking so other
> people could use it.   It's the nature of open source, I'm afraid.

What I still don't understand is the odd belief by distro makers that,
somehow, their users won't need to compile anything, and therefore, do not
need make, gcc, or any *-devel packages.  Are they trying to save 10 Meg or
something?  It really makes linux look bad when people run into really
hard-to-decipher error messages, when all they're missing is "{apt|yum|urpmi}
someprog-devel".  It's a complete waste of human effort and time just to save
a relatively tiny amount of disk space.  Seriously, when was the last time
you were low in disk space and thought, "Oh, I'll remove all my -devel
pacakges!"

I have yet to use a distro where I didn't need to compile at least one thing,
and I don't think I've personally met any person who has used linux for any
moderate length of time and who didn't want/need to compile something.

I like distros like gobolinux and gentoo, which don't require you to install
separate -devel pacakges, but I don't like the fact that they are very
focused around the end-user compiling everything (minus a few large binary
packages).

Whoever made the decision that some .h files should be put into a *-devel
package should be publicly flogged. (and by "publicly" I mean, put on
youtube)

Show of hands if you've never had to compile anything (yet).

Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be
used for urgent or sensitive issues.

Mark Kimsal
http://biz.metrofindings.com/
fax: 866-375-1590