[mdlug] OT - Gimp plugin.

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Fri Jan 9 17:13:03 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 09:13 -0500, Mark Kimsal wrote:
> On Friday 09 January 09, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:46:58PM -0500, Garry Stahl wrote:
<snip>

> What I still don't understand is the odd belief by distro makers that,
> somehow, their users won't need to compile anything, and therefore, do not
> need make, gcc, or any *-devel packages.  Are they trying to save 10 Meg or
> something?  It really makes linux look bad when people run into really
> hard-to-decipher error messages, when all they're missing is "{apt|yum|urpmi}
> someprog-devel".  It's a complete waste of human effort and time just to save
> a relatively tiny amount of disk space.  Seriously, when was the last time
> you were low in disk space and thought, "Oh, I'll remove all my -devel
> pacakges!"
>
> I have yet to use a distro where I didn't need to compile at least one thing,
> and I don't think I've personally met any person who has used linux for any
> moderate length of time and who didn't want/need to compile something.
>
> I like distros like gobolinux and gentoo, which don't require you to install
> separate -devel pacakges, but I don't like the fact that they are very
> focused around the end-user compiling everything (minus a few large binary
> packages).
>
> Whoever made the decision that some .h files should be put into a *-devel
> package should be publicly flogged. (and by "publicly" I mean, put on
> youtube)
>

> Show of hands if you've never had to compile anything (yet).

	Just because of these sorts of situations I normally install things
that do not normally get installed. Because I don't know the ins and
outs I rely on a list I keep, but usually kernel source, headers and
several different compilers.

Best Regards,
--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>