[mdlug] SEMCO Linux install-fest redux

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Tue Feb 24 06:34:48 EST 2009

Peter Bart wrote:

> At one point several people were waiting on a disc of mine
> that another was using.

This was not effectively communicated. I had a few pre-burned disks, and
plenty of blanks and ISOs. Things were kind of hectic though. It was
kind of unusual that the helpers didn't out number the installers.
Several times I asked for people needing help to raise their hands. I
guess I should have started with "Who needs an install disk?" and then
proceeded to people having trouble with an installation.

> This doesn't make sense then to make that
> unavailable because the first person keeps it?

No it wouldn't

>> It has been customary for those furnishing install disks to make them
>> available for keeps. Customarily one might request, but not demand, a
>> dollar or so for said disk. It is also customary to donate said dollar
>> to the LUG, but that's another matter. In fact, the LUG owns a spindle
>> of blank disks (CDs and DVDs) to exchange with people for Distro disks.
>> (This spindle was not available at the SEMCO meeting because our caterer
>> couldn't make it.)
>
> 	That would be fine, maybe a person could be designated to burn copies
> as their needed with the LUG discs?

This might not be a bad idea. Part of the lack of communication was
actually that (not) coming from the SEMCO people. At the January
meeting, and in email and on their forum, I asked them to email me which
distros they wanted, and really got no response.

> I had a box there that did not have
> any ISO's on it, but I offered to copy discs. I did not bring extra
> discs though. The installs I've been to, I was expected to furnish
> whatever I was planning on installing.

Your experience differs then.

>> Frankly I'm surprised any one would want them back, given their short
>> shelf life. (Any one want any SuSE 8.2 disks? It's a classic!). This was
>> a new volunteer, so it might have been a rookie mistake. Going forward,
>> the policy will be agreed before hand.
>
> Ummm, because they were current distro's;

Not to argue this too much , but the operative word here is *were*, as
in "two weeks ago and counting". Are they still current? Debian released
a new version last week. Actually I didn't get a look at  any of your
disks, so I don't know if they were factory pressed or home burned, but
wouldn't you consider a blank replacement from the LUGs cache a fair trade?

> as well as current utilities
> like Parted Magic, that I am using as well? Agreed on the policy,
> MDLUG's website indeed shows the policy in place.
>

> Good!
>
>> I'll keep You all posted.
>>

> Best Regards,

Raymond McLaughlin