[mdlug] SEMCO Linux install-fest redux

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Tue Feb 24 05:56:12 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 23:38 -0500, Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> MDLUGers:
>
> Thanks again to of you who showed up to help with the SEMCO Linux
> install-fest. For those who missed it, it was the first install-fest in
> years, that I've attended at least, where the installers actually out
> numbered the helpers, about 8 to 12. Give or take.
>
> One thing that I have heard from the SEMCO folks is that they would like
> to have been able to keep the install disks that they used. One comment
> was "I usually keep a back up copy of everything I install on my computer."
>
> One of our volunteers (who was quicker with his disks than I was with
> mine) indicated, after the installs were under way, that he needed his
> disks back. I won't fault anyone on this because it was not discussed
> before hand. But this has not been the usual practice at any of the
> install-fests I have been involved with previously.

	Which explains why I was missing disc's when I left. I was actually
kind of ticked that people would just take someone elses stuff. But I
did not say anything, save that I expected my discs back in their
sleeves. At one point several people were waiting on a disc of mine
that another was using. This doesn't make sense then to make that
unavailable because the first person keeps it?

> It has been customary for those furnishing install disks to make them
> available for keeps. Customarily one might request, but not demand, a
> dollar or so for said disk. It is also customary to donate said dollar
> to the LUG, but that's another matter. In fact, the LUG owns a spindle
> of blank disks (CDs and DVDs) to exchange with people for Distro disks.
> (This spindle was not available at the SEMCO meeting because our caterer
> couldn't make it.)

	That would be fine, maybe a person could be designated to burn copies
as their needed with the LUG discs? I had a box there that did not have
any ISO's on it, but I offered to copy discs. I did not bring extra
discs though. The installs I've been to, I was expected to furnish
whatever I was planning on installing.

> Frankly I'm surprised any one would want them back, given their short
> shelf life. (Any one want any SuSE 8.2 disks? It's a classic!). This was
> a new volunteer, so it might have been a rookie mistake. Going forward,
> the policy will be agreed before hand.

	Ummm, because they were current distro's; as well as current utilities
like Parted Magic, that I am using as well? Agreed on the policy,
MDLUG's website indeed shows the policy in place.

> Other than this the feed-back has been positive. Additionally ther has
> been some discussion in SEMCO about organizing a Linux SIG (Special
> Interest Group), which might be of interest to those who are interested
> in a Linux meeting on Sundays in Troy, rather than (or in addition to)
> ours on Saturdays in Inkster.

Good!

> I'll keep You all posted.

Best Regards,