[mdlug] SEMCO Linux install-fest redux

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Tue Feb 24 07:08:39 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 06:34 -0500, Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> Peter Bart wrote:
>
> > At one point several people were waiting on a disc of mine
> > that another was using.
>
> This was not effectively communicated. I had a few pre-burned disks, and
> plenty of blanks and ISOs. Things were kind of hectic though. It was
> kind of unusual that the helpers didn't out number the installers.
> Several times I asked for people needing help to raise their hands. I
> guess I should have started with "Who needs an install disk?" and then
> proceeded to people having trouble with an installation.

	The lack of response would not have helped in any case.

> > This doesn't make sense then to make that
> > unavailable because the first person keeps it?
>
> No it wouldn't
>
> >> It has been customary for those furnishing install disks to make them
> >> available for keeps. Customarily one might request, but not demand, a
> >> dollar or so for said disk. It is also customary to donate said dollar
> >> to the LUG, but that's another matter. In fact, the LUG owns a spindle
> >> of blank disks (CDs and DVDs) to exchange with people for Distro disks.
> >> (This spindle was not available at the SEMCO meeting because our caterer
> >> couldn't make it.)
> >
> > 	That would be fine, maybe a person could be designated to burn copies
> > as their needed with the LUG discs?
>
> This might not be a bad idea. Part of the lack of communication was
> actually that (not) coming from the SEMCO people. At the January
> meeting, and in email and on their forum, I asked them to email me which
> distros they wanted, and really got no response.

	Yes, I noticed that too. Kind of like the lack of response when you
repeatedly asked if anyone needed help/would like to get started, etc.

> > I had a box there that did not have
> > any ISO's on it, but I offered to copy discs. I did not bring extra
> > discs though. The installs I've been to, I was expected to furnish
> > whatever I was planning on installing.
>
> Your experience differs then.

	Yes, but I can adapt :)

> >> Frankly I'm surprised any one would want them back, given their short
> >> shelf life. (Any one want any SuSE 8.2 disks? It's a classic!). This was
> >> a new volunteer, so it might have been a rookie mistake. Going forward,
> >> the policy will be agreed before hand.
> >
> > Ummm, because they were current distro's;
>
> Not to argue this too much , but the operative word here is *were*, as
> in "two weeks ago and counting". Are they still current? Debian released
> a new version last week. Actually I didn't get a look at  any of your
> disks, so I don't know if they were factory pressed or home burned, but
> wouldn't you consider a blank replacement from the LUGs cache a fair trade?

	Not argueing at all. They are still current. openSUSE 11.0 and 11.1.
They were homemade. I would rather have the club burn box burn and check
the discs, I would be more than happy to supply blank discs. To explain,
so far I have not been able to remember how to compare md5 ?hashes? from
the command line. Which I understand only confirms the download? I have
to look it up every time. I usually start the disc and have it verify
itself from the presented menu, which is much more time consuming. Time
is always precious. You know that I'm more than happy to freely give
useable stuff that I no longer have a use for as well.

> > as well as current utilities
> > like Parted Magic, that I am using as well? Agreed on the policy,
> > MDLUG's website indeed shows the policy in place.

	In parting, I'm sorry I may have cast a bad impression on MDLUG. It was
certainly not my intent and I'll make up for it in any way you see fit.

Best Regards,

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
Peter The Plumber