[mdlug] Open Source Virus Protection Windows Server 2003

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Fri Feb 20 06:08:18 EST 2009

Robert Meier wrote:
> Robert,
>
>> Does anyone know of an Open Source virus protection program
>> that will run on Windows Server 2003? ...
>> My boss has asked me to locate a free option to paying for Norton.  ...
>
> I understand several companies use a linux proxy ahead of
> their mail server (not necessarily linux) to filter mail
> with SpamAssassin and/or ClamAV and/or other packages.

I use ASSP (Anti Spam SMTP Proxy) for several organizations,
and it works quite well.  You can put it on Linux or Windows,
and it can run on the mail server or a separate server.  It's
definitely worth looking at if you want an inexpensive mail
filter.  It's free to use and easy to maintain, providing
that you configure it well for your environment.