[mdlug] Open Source Virus Protection Windows Server 2003

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 19 23:32:13 EST 2009

Robert,

> Does anyone know of an Open Source virus protection program
> that will run on Windows Server 2003? ...
> My boss has asked me to locate a free option to paying for Norton.  ...

I understand several companies use a linux proxy ahead of
their mail server (not necessarily linux) to filter mail
with SpamAssassin and/or ClamAV and/or other packages.

The linux proxy is setup and maintained as a standalone
"mail filter" box in similar manner to a "firewall" box.

All company mail (internal and external) is sent to the linux box
which scans it, and either rejects it or forwards it to the
"company mail server".

My current employer uses a non-linux mail server and
hires a service that filters all our external mail.
If rejected, I get a mail message which includes four URLs to
   S. confirm spam (thereby training filter) to be discarded
   L. report legitimate mail (thereby training filter) to send on
   E. note the mail as an exception to send on (without adjusting filters)
   R. build a whitelist/blacklist rule from the header info (e.g. sender)
I strongly suspect the service is running SpamAssassin on a linux proxy.
The service uses a web interface, but unlike most "webmail" the
mail is never transmitted in the clear without a password entry from
me and explicit display request.  If I suspect (e.g. by header info)
that the contents are sensitive, the (possibly encrypted) mail can
be sent as an Exception (without adjusting filters) for examination
on my host.  If desired, I can later use the S, L, or R URLs to
update the filter.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Bob

  "Tell me who admires and loves you, and I will tell you who you are."
     -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery