[mdlug] Suse Linux Email Stratigies

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Feb 4 12:08:04 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:18:11AM -0800, David Lane wrote:
> Thanks I guess the hard part is setting up the email server itself.
>
> It looks like commandline setup I was hoping for GUI.

There might be GUI setups for setting up an MTA and mailstore.

However, most people who actually run mail servers realize that there
are so many permutations of configuration (both in choise of MTA and
with configuration options within the MTA) that a simple GUI doesn't
cover enough to make the MTA useful and secure.  Also, managing your
MTA will most likely require a familiarity with the command-line
tools.

Like many other services on unix/linux, configuration is handled
through plain text files and command-line utilities (although I'm
tempted to call a sendmail.cf a compiled binary).  If you're running
your own domain, you really should get comfortable with that.