[mdlug] Suse Linux Email Stratigies

Joe Doehler lugnuts at doehler.us
Wed Feb 4 10:34:38 EST 2009

At 09:20 AM 2/4/2009, David wrote:
>A guess here is what I need to do.
>
>1. Set up Myemail at Mydomain.com so that I can send and recieve email.
>2. Filter spam.
>3. Save money (By not paying for email pro)
>4. Enjoy the fact that I'm not paying Bill more than I need. (When
>Ever I do what I need to do in Linux and Now Windows)

I run my own server and it is a lot of fun... I use Exim.

You'll need a fixed IP address, and to have your domain name attached
to that IP (i.e. upstream DNS). You'll need the cooperation of your
ISP for this. If your outgoing mail is not recognized as being sent
from a domain via reverse DNS, it will not be accepted by the
recipient's server. Let your ISP know what you intend to do and that
you will not send out "bulk mail". Make sure that your ISP does not
block SMTP traffic.

Joe.