[mdlug] Ubuntu Server administration

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Mon Aug 24 13:38:41 EDT 2009

I gave Ubuntu 9.04 Server a go a little time ago. I immediately ran into
issues and dropped it like a rock and went back to OpenSuSe.

I prefer to get things up and running quickly and Ubuntu Server wasn't
playing nice with regards to setting up two different Ethernet cards with
differing roles. The machine was being setup as a firewall between a known
to be dangerous network and a network that needed to be protected. There was
no utility apparent for telling the system that Card A was to be Eth0 and
Card B was to be Eth1.

I am unfamiliar with Ubuntu having anything as robust and capable as YaST2.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.