[mdlug] Ubuntu Server administration

Michael newmaniese at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 13:59:19 EDT 2009

We only use Ubuntu servers here at work (8.04 LTS) and I personally manage a
few servers that all run 9.04.
Aptitude and more user-friendly apt-get are the package managers and will be
the reason you switch from SuSe if you get the hang of them. The Debian
underpinnings are rock solid and I can't tell you the last time I had a
dependancy issue. Even better, the package management let's me create my own
packages easily and use those, all with the apt-get bindings, to keep my own
stuff up to date. I never need to install anything from source again on a
production machine.

Here is the list of packages. You can also add other sources by editing
/etc/apt/sources.list

Personally I never thought Webmin was secure enough for my purposes and am
comfortable with sshing into the command line, but I know you can install it
from there. I bet there is a plugin out there that would also have the
aptitude parts in it.

Synaptic Package Manager is the GUI version (apt-get install synaptic). I
suspect you could run that through X11 if you really wanted to.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

Let me know if there are any specific questions you have. Ubuntu/Debian has
been really good to me over the last 3 years.

Michael