[mdlug] Manual activation of ACX wireless card

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 13:23:40 EDT 2009

For testing purposes I need to remove, then reinsert, the module for
my acx100 wireless card without
rebooting. The module itself was included on the Suse 11 DVD (unlike
the previous version that I was
using with Fedora 4) and is named acx.ko.

The module removes well enough, taking device wlan0 with it. Both
insmod and modprobe report
successful mounting. However, afterward wlan0 is still absent,
according to ifconfig, iwconfig, and
KWifiManager, and the wireless is still out.

I'm missing a parameter, I am guessing. Something like device=wlan0.
Except I tried a few variations
on that theme and got back something like Invalid Symbol in Module.
I've tried a web search but
haven't turned up any list of valid parameters. And trying to trace
the init scripts to see what command
is used to start the thing during boot hasn't led anywhere either.

Anyone have an idea on how to proceed from here?

----

- Drew.

PS: On more checking I found that there is no wlan0 in the /dev
directory even when the wireless card
is up and running and doing real work. Huh, what???