[mdlug] playing redbook CDs on computer

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 4 04:16:34 EST 2008

Robert Meier wrote:
> CD listeners,
>
> I am unable to hear the audio tracks of cds, though the cd text appears.

<snip>

> How do I capture the audio and direct it to the speakers?

<snip>

> Discoveries:
> The DVDburner has no audio socket, only power and data (ide).
> The motherboard has no cd audio socket (unequipped option).

IDE CD-ROMs have always had a separate audio out, sometimes both an
analogue and a digital audio out. Until now it seems.

It was always a nuisance to me that you had to have this separate little
wire, and I sometimes forgot to reconnect it after working on a system.
It always seemed that the data cable should suffice. But considering the
limited capabilities of the 486s that were common when IDE CD-ROMs were
introduced it would have placed a major burden on the system to handle
it in software. I guess.

I've noticed that SATA CD/DVD drives lack separate audio connectors, and
vaguely wondered what new software provision has been made for audio
CDs. But I've never worried about it much because when ever I get a new
CD I always rip it to mp3 straight away, and then put the disk away as
an archive.

Have you looked at this intel page:
<http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-014753.htm>?
It talks about a software setting (in Windows of course) to switch modes
on the CD player, in lieu of having a discrete audio connection. So it
seems you need a software solution.

In KsCD: -->Extras
  -->Configure KsCD
  -->On "CD Player - Settings & Behavior" check the box labeled "Use
direct digital playback"

In XMMS: <Ctrl-P> "Preferences", on "Audio I/O Plugins" tab click on "CD
Audio Player ... [libcdaudio.so]" and then click the "Configure" button.
and make sure that "Play mode:" is "Digital Audio Extraction", not "Analog".