[mdlug] Mount point

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Wed May 7 14:53:11 EDT 2008

Garry Stahl wrote:
> What is the best mount point for a USB drive to be used on multiple
> machines?  Permissions as well.  It needs to be accessible to all users.

Although "best" is always debatable most distros mount them somewhere
under /media. Assuming the USB drive is formated fat32, then it has a
MS-DOS volume label. SuSE, and many other distros will first look for
such a volume label when choosing a mount point.

There exist Linux tools for changing MS-DOS volume labels, but it really
easier and safer to do it in a windows machine. Explorer--><Right
click>Drive letter of USB Device-->Properties-->Type in new volume
label, like Garys_USB.

With the Volume Label set this way it will be mounted in the
unmistakable location /media/Garys_USB.

If by "It needs to be accessible to all users." you mean read-write
accessible, there are other issues. I see Aaron beat me to the
explanation of permissions. (You can't use fdisk to modify volume
labels.) Basically you need to create a permanent mount point for the
drive, and add a line like Aaron described. Getting it to magically
mount on insertion could still be tricky.

Raymond McLaughlin