[mdlug] Allband Communications Cooperative - are they nuts?

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Tue May 6 12:41:32 EDT 2008

(I'm cross-posting this to mug, mdlug, and lugwash as I'm sure there
are some telco members but I don't know who.)

I've recently received some info about this independent ILEC planning
to run fiber in a rural part of the L.P. that doesn't have even basic
telco service.  There is a reason there isn't any service.  This isn't
just rural, it's primitive.  It's boundary appears to include at least
part of some hunting property my family owns.  Most of the local area
is hunting/vacation property and much of it doesn't have electricity.
Regardless of the federal backing and educational tie-ins I can't see
how this is sustainable unless the target market is deer.  Their
predicted service rates (http://www.allband.org/services.shtml) seem
competitive to Verizon but when you look at the big picture it's near
fantasy.  The population density is so low it would be difficult to
justify WiMAX.

Here are some news articles:
http://zgli.fimc.net/Article.asp?id=212283&spid=8936
http://zgli.fimc.net/article.asp?id=313283

Their faq says they will provide solar panels for customers who don't
have electricity.  For $20 I'll take it if I can get it but I think
they're loony.  Has anyone heard of this project?