[mdlug] local data recovery service

Dave Arbogast mdlug3 at arb.net
Thu Mar 13 14:30:48 EDT 2008

When Sony sold Apple all those drives with contaminated spindle bearing
grease, we were the warranty shop that replaced them. I thought of a
similar technique to recover the data for the customers. Using a cable
extender for the bus and the power, I had the drive exterior to the
computer with the replacement drive also on the bus but another address.
Then. holding it on the end furthest from the spindle, I would hit it
with my hand at startup in the plane of the disk platters. Do the
physics, the inertia of the platters closes to my other hand - the new
pivoting point for the mass, was different from the mass of the platters
furthest from my hand. I was able to recover all the data for all the
drives we did after that point.

I've done the same thing on several laptops with "clicking" drives. I've
also had a few dozen with failed PCB that replacing the PCB allowed full
recovery. I've never had a motor fail to spin after this technique,
heads, or servo fail, but I'm sure it happens.

-dave