[mdlug] LVM problem

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at msu.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:16:24 EDT 2008

Robert Meier wrote:
> David,
>

>> fdisk ...
>> mkswap ...
>> Is there something else I need to do to get the kernel to re-scan that
>> partition table?
>>

> Older (2.4.12?) linux kernels had the limitation/bug that the kernel
> cached the partition tables multiple times and DID NOT refresh
> all the boot disk partition table caches until rebooted.
> I understand this was fixed in 2.6 and later 2.4 releases.

This system runs a 2.6 kernel (Ubuntu 2.6.24-16-386, to be exact).  I
had rebooted since repartitioning the disk.  However,  I had been
playing with LVM on a slightly different partition-arrangement before I
repartitioned and rebooted.

I guess my question is:  Does LVM get partition-information from
somewhere else than what is currently reported by the kernel?

--
David Lee Lambert
  cell phone 586-873-8813
  preferred e-mail davidl at lmert.com