[mdlug] linux usuability (rant)

Dean Durant mdlug at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 10 16:20:52 EDT 2008

So first I have to acknowledge, when you're talking about free software, you can never complain.

<rant>

Somehow, at my company, they have managed to defy the beast and they are actually using linux for CAE workstations.    And it works great.   But I would like to run webmail for lotus notes, which requires a functioning java plug-in for firefox.   And I would like to run openoffice.    Now these are 64-bit x86_64 systems, running RHEL for x86_84.    (is RHEL the problem?)

They run the CAE apps just fine.   But the CAE manager is a windows bigot and an idiot.   They don't have the money for citrix, and their is kind of a war between my manager, and all the bosses in CAE land, to where they have to pay for extra boxes.   Meaning, a separate windows box for lotus notes, and powerpoint, and all that crap.

What kills me is, and I know I shouldn't compain, but things like java for firefox on 64 bit linux are apparently not automatic.   And openoffice 2.3 isn't working either.   So, it makes linux look bad, and it makes me look bad too.   Me being a linux advocate.   Because, there's never an issue with office (or openoffice) for windows, and java doesn't seem to be an issue either, and of course, for lotus notes 6.5, there is a full-blown client for windows, but not for linux.    (no, we're not upgrading to a new version of notes anytime soon.)

So, sorry for the rant.    Just frustrating I guess.   These workstations are in production.  I could export the display and work from my laptop, but even enabling remote X on linux seems to be a exercise in a lot of setup, as I recall.

</rant>