[mdlug] Interesting information about Windows "7"

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Jan 22 14:25:27 EST 2008

> From: Robert Adkins

> 	If anything in this article comes really close to correct, I have
> some concern for the potential growth in desktop marketshare for Linux this
> next year. If any of it is true, this is a crucial year for Linux to make
> significant inroads, since the window of opportunity could shrink
> considerably.

 I dunno. MS survived one Windows ME, but Vista's been a real mess, and the
competition (Linux and Apple) isn't standing still. I haven't run into *anyone*
in real life who's been pleased with Vista, not even typical MS partisans.

 Getting a new version out the door *fast* is about the only thing MS *can* do
to salvage anything, I agree. Their record on 'agile development' isn't all
that impressive, though, and their "first versions" of *anything* have been...
generally problematic. Windows 7 had better be *really* good from the get-go
or they'll hurt their reputation even further.

 Again, I'm not saying MS will disappear overnight or anything like that. It's
just that the long-term trends aren't in their favor; they'll be around for a
long time to come, but not as the colossus astride the PC market.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                         (313) 227-2317

  "In the Third World, they call people in such situations 'the
 Disappeared.'" - Joe Hill, on the hundreds of detainees currently
   being held incommunicado with no rights by the United States.