[mdlug] ASSP update...

Mark Thuemmel ldaphelp at thuemmel.com
Mon Jan 21 07:41:40 EST 2008

Michael ORourke wrote:
>> I tell my users to send an email to any new email contacts instead of
>> telling them their email over the phone so they are autowhitelisted.
>>
>> Sorting the spam and the notspam at the beginning is very important, as
>> well as checking it to make sure it doesn't start dropping mail you
>> want.  These days I only do it once a week or two, simply moving the
>> .eml from spam to notspam or vice versa.  I don't find much that was
>> handled wrong, but some of my users sign up for such crap that they
>> claim they want.
>
> Okay, I see *.eml files accumulating in the <ASSP>/okmail directory, so I
> need to go through those manually and move them to their respective
> <ASSP>/spam or <ASSP>/notspam directories?  I remember the docs saying that
> if you are not sure which directory to move a file to, then just delete it.
> Do you use a special email reader, or just 'more' each file individually?
> Looking at some of the 'eml' files, they are not all that easy to read
> especially if they contain HTML or images.  Just curious as they don't seem
> to suggest a 'reader' in the docs.  Unless I missed something.  I'm guessing
> that once you get through the "okmail" directory, you need to run some
> utility to update the filters, or it runs automatically (via cron)?

Hmm...I don't remember an "/okmail" directory....mine were in /spam or
/notspam.  I think at first I just double clicked on each .eml file and
associated an email or plain text reader to that extension to view.  I
use the ASSP setting to use the subject line as the filename to make it
simple to just look at the filename and pretty much know if it is junk
or not.  I quit using the GUI after a few days and just change to the
spam/notspam directories and issue a ls -lrtc command to look at the
most recent filenames and then mv (filename) ../spam if it is junk.

ASSP has a cronjob that updates once a day.  I was manually running the
update if I moved a bunch of files around, but these days it is usually
just one or two a month so I don't bother anymore.

I agree if you can't figure out if it is spam or not to just delete the
file, especially if it is a dictionary poisoning attack email with a
bunch of junk words added to the spam message.  After you get a bunch of
files in spam/notspam it won't make that big of a difference if a couple
good words appear in /spam or vice versa.