[mdlug] ASSP update...

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 20 23:28:53 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thuemmel" <ldaphelp at thuemmel.com>
To: "MDLUG's Main discussion list" <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: [mdlug] ASSP update...

> Put me down as a happy ASSP user.  At work and also on my home server.
>
> I like to have 2 rbl hits to reject
> (sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org|combined.njabl.org|list.dsbl.org|dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
> |dnsbl.tqmcube.com|bl.spamcop.net|dictspam.webengr.com)  is what I'm
> using at home right now, and keep an eye out for places to whitelist.
>
> Turning on the delaying for 5 minutes cuts almost all the junk off the
> bat.
>
> I tell my users to send an email to any new email contacts instead of
> telling them their email over the phone so they are autowhitelisted.
>
> Sorting the spam and the notspam at the beginning is very important, as
> well as checking it to make sure it doesn't start dropping mail you
> want.  These days I only do it once a week or two, simply moving the
> .eml from spam to notspam or vice versa.  I don't find much that was
> handled wrong, but some of my users sign up for such crap that they
> claim they want.

Okay, I see *.eml files accumulating in the <ASSP>/okmail directory, so I
need to go through those manually and move them to their respective
<ASSP>/spam or <ASSP>/notspam directories?  I remember the docs saying that
if you are not sure which directory to move a file to, then just delete it.
Do you use a special email reader, or just 'more' each file individually?
Looking at some of the 'eml' files, they are not all that easy to read
especially if they contain HTML or images.  Just curious as they don't seem
to suggest a 'reader' in the docs.  Unless I missed something.  I'm guessing
that once you get through the "okmail" directory, you need to run some
utility to update the filters, or it runs automatically (via cron)?

Thanks,
Mike