[mdlug] ASSP update...

Mark Thuemmel ldaphelp at thuemmel.com
Sun Jan 20 13:29:57 EST 2008

Michael ORourke wrote:
> Well, I finally setup ASSP on one of the email servers I support.  I have to
> say, it was very easy to install.  Configuration, now that's a different
> issue altogether.  There must be about 400 different settings that can be
> customized.  I followed the HOW-TO from the Wiki site and I believe I have
> it configured correctly and it is in *learning* mode (aka testonly mode).
> So I'm gonna let it run for a few days then try to run it live and see what
> happens.  Anyone out there running ASSP?  I think I remember a few people
> jump in on my last post, regarding anti-spam tools, about 4 months ago.

Put me down as a happy ASSP user.  At work and also on my home server.

I like to have 2 rbl hits to reject
(sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org|combined.njabl.org|list.dsbl.org|dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
|dnsbl.tqmcube.com|bl.spamcop.net|dictspam.webengr.com)  is what I'm
using at home right now, and keep an eye out for places to whitelist.

Turning on the delaying for 5 minutes cuts almost all the junk off the bat.

I tell my users to send an email to any new email contacts instead of
telling them their email over the phone so they are autowhitelisted.

Sorting the spam and the notspam at the beginning is very important, as
well as checking it to make sure it doesn't start dropping mail you
want.  These days I only do it once a week or two, simply moving the
.eml from spam to notspam or vice versa.  I don't find much that was
handled wrong, but some of my users sign up for such crap that they
claim they want.

ASSP worked good for the image spam problem I had a year ago.

I still haven't really figured out how to do the spam collect and spam
trap address.  I have some email addresses that get email from users
that were from 1993 that are always junk, but the spam trap addresses
doesn't seem to work the way I expect.