[mdlug] SDL extensions - how common?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Sep 26 09:48:06 EDT 2007

> From: Aaron Kulkis

> I would instead put up to 4 colored markers at the top, say
> COLOR | Indicates
> --------+--------------
> red - user can READ
> yellow - user can WRITE
> green - user can EXECUTE
> blue - SETUID
>
> It's MUCH less for the user to learn and remember, and
> patterns are are easier to identify.

 Might go along those lines, but the color spectrum can be used for other
things. E.g. objects can be colored by modification time - files that were
just touched are white-hot, and gradually 'cool' through the spectrum to
dark blue or black. A simple repeated keypress loops through the 'vision
modes' available. (There might be a way to assign colors to owners/groups,
too.)

 Also, the spectrum allows for a file's permissions to be recognized from
a long 'distance' away. Humans have hardware for judging objects, and this
model uses all of them - shape, size, color, material. One glance and you
know a great deal about the item.

 At least, I'm going to try it that way for now. If it doesn't work, or
ends up being too hard to learn, I'll try something else.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                   (313) 227-2317

   "Coalition military intelligence officials estimated that 70% to 90% of
 prisoners detained in Iraq since the war began last year 'had been arrested
 by mistake,' according to a confidential Red Cross report given to the Bush
                    administration earlier this year."