[mdlug] SDL extensions - how common?

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Tue Sep 25 18:12:56 EDT 2007

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> I'm working on a game-like program (I've been working on it for years,
> really, but I've finally decided to get the damn thing done) and the SDL
> is a wonderful thing. But I find I need a few things that aren't in the
> core SDL; in particular SDL-image and SDL-sound would be most helpful.
> Ubuntu and Debian have these as packages; I'm curious as to what other
> distributions have them available. If y'all could check in your package
> managers for "libsdl_image" and/or "libsdl_sound", I'd appreciate it.
>
>  (The program I'm working on is described here:
> http://ingles.homeunix.org/software/fpfm/designdoc.html - I estimate I'm
> about a month from having something that actually shows an image on the
> screen.)

Looks good except for the whole permission spectrum thing.

I would instead put up to 4 colored markers at the top, say
COLOR | Indicates
red - user can READ
yellow - user can WRITE
green - user can EXECUTE
blue - SETUID

It's MUCH less for the user to learn and remember, and
patterns are are easier to identify.