[mdlug] OT: More Excel accuracy woes

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Tue Sep 25 01:16:59 EDT 2007

Last year I posted about Excel 2002 (and earlier versions) not being
able to calculate standard deviations correctly. Excel 2003 fixed
that particular problem. But it looks like Excel 2007 has an even more
serious accuracy issue. Take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/2bcad1a1a4861879/2f8806d5400dfe22?hl=en#2f8806d5400dfe22

Apparently, a lot of calculations that come out to 65,535 will show
100,000 to be the answer! For example, 850*77.1. Man, I sure hope
no one is depending on Excel for accurate calculations.

I can confirm that StarOffice 7 does *not* have that bug. Even with
the easter eggs it still calculates accurately! :)

Michael